Sunday, August 22, 2010

Houten Part V

Work on the pipe has slowed a bit.  More pipe restoration projects and my ebay have taken the front seat until recently.  I was able to get a bit more accomplished toward the end of the week.  Final stummel shaping and surface prep were up next.  That and some work to the stem.

I was able to get the rim thickness to a point where I was happy and the same for the bottom chamfer on the bowl.  These two elements were fairly tricky and I just wasn't happy with them.  But with a little patience and dedication I was able to get the result I was seeking.

I then turned my attention to the stem, still a fairly hefty block of ebonite.  I took my new belt/disc sander out to my patio, as I didn't want to fill my house with stem dust.  I flipped the switch, gave a manly Tool-Time grunt, and roughed in the basic stem shape.  After cleaning off the sander, returned inside and did some further shaping, getting my desired military bit/fantail form.  I am going to mimic the shape of the shank/extension in the shape of the stem.  I am still trying to figure out what insert I will incorporate in the stem.  I have a couple ideas, but am still undecided.


I just now completed the ebony stain on the stummel.  This is the first step of the 'contrast' approach of finish for the pipe.  I have applied the dark stain and will allow it to penetrate, then buff off the residue and unwanted portion.  After that I will apply a red stain to the remaining lighter areas of the stummel and in doing so, create a nice contrast.  This look will mirror the modeled appearance of the cumberland stem, tying the whole pipe as a congruent unit.  I am very happy with the nice grain throughout the pipe; from the flame on the sides to the beautiful birdseye on the bottom.  It will look great when the pipe is complete!

I can't wait to get out to Wayne's again to buff and finish the stummel and apply the last coat of carnauba!!  But for now, I will continue work on the stem.


Wayne and I will be heading to Columbus, OH next Saturday to the NASPC Pipe Show.  I can't wait!  After heading to the Chicago show in May, I am really looking forward to it.  

Until next time, happy piping!!



No comments: